[pct-l] thrus behaving badly

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 17 20:26:41 CDT 2008

Much has been said here about bad behavior.  Much of it needed to be put out there as a reminder to us all.  I would like to suggest however that some of the judgments loosened here have been flung around as carelessly as say bagel Frisbees.

  Out of all the condemnation, I have only read one person mention that the hiker in question was angry and depressed before she even began her hike.  I don't wish to make an excuse for her behavior or her thought process, they were not up to the standards I have seen espoused here.  At the same time, I have not read of anyone asking why she was in so much pain.  The throwing of her food is a classic "acting out" behavior.  What was she really trying to shed herself of?  I don't believe is was simply the weight of the food.

  In her log, she explained that she was sooo looking forward to what she believed, she had been assured, was going to be a wonderful respite.  She was totally exhausted when she arrived and truly felt betrayed by what transpired.  No doubt the owner has every right to lock his doors at any time, but what did that feel like?  I suspect that it was just one more loss, one more rejection, one more disappointment in a long series.

  Self-centered?  Sure.  Narcissistic?  Yes.  But I wonder why she was out there all alone in the first place.  What was she trying to escape, or find?  Do we know her story?  Being far from perfect myself, there is a quote from Longfellow that I like very much, "If we could read the secret heart of our enemy, we would find in each man's life sorrow and pain enough to disarm all hostility".

  Peace and understanding to you all.

  Amanda