[pct-l] Leave No Trace - Praise for thru-hikes

trail-name-here trail-name-here at comcast.net
Tue Apr 15 10:36:33 CDT 2008

Hikers who are undertaking the PCT are often admired by
non-long-distance-hikers for their tenacity and courage. PCT thru-hikers are
also stereotyped - and looked up to - as being more environmentally
sensitive (maybe not tree-huggers, but surely preservationists) than the
average trail users. IMO, I think most of us are - especially those of us
who live with the PCT in our backyard.

It is really discouraging to see journal entries like this one that make
light of littering by leaving leftover food for wild animals whose diet
traditionally does not include our foods.

"I do the usual "camp chores" and pack up. I play one last solo game of
"muffin frisbee", as I send the last two off, to be feasted on by some
desert mountain beast."

It is unfortunate that this type of thinking eventually leads to nothing
less than bears being shot. The attitude hiker brings out to the desert does
not change just because they're hiking into the Sierra. If you see this
behavior in action, do a favor and give the hiker a clue about the softer
side of walking.

For information on Leave No Trace Ethics and principles, look on the PCTA
website or go to  <http://www.lnt.org/> www.LNT.org  The guidelines are
simple and sensible for everyone.

It is everyone's trail - even the wildlife.

Hasta la Pasta