[pct-l] Trail Injuries

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sun Apr 6 16:17:55 CDT 2008

On Apr 4, 2008, at 5:19 PM, Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes wrote:
> I'm even older than you are. And I'm a cheapskate. I've been
> wondering how necessary it is to take zero days in town. What I mean
> is, can't you just pick up your package, load up on a good meal, then
> get the heck out of Dodge and take a zero day, or a really low
> mileage day, somewhere on the trail? Does anybody ever do that?

I've hiked with several 'perpetual thru hikers' who are often
very cost conscious.  Limiting town stays and taking rest days
on the trail was part of their regular routine.  Tricks and tips
that I observed:

- camp just outside of town, arrive early
   tend to chores, leave late, camp just
   outside of town
- hostels and trail angels instead of motels
- shower/laundry without an overnight room
   (e.g. fire station in Big Bear, shower at
    the laundromat in Chester, public shower
    in Stehekin)
- campground/shower instead of motel
   (campground in Idylwild or Mammoth Lakes)
- eat trail food in town (vs. restaurants)
- fresh food on first day out of town for
   variety (i.e. food that will go bad
   quickly)

- sharing hotel rooms to cut costs (i.e.
   four to a room vs. two or one to a room)

- generic foods instead of brand names

Things that will save you money but that make life
difficult for other thru hikers (i.e. don't do
this!):

- 'hiding' extra people in hotel rooms instead
   of paying the extra person fees or adhering
   to limits set by management

- hanging out at trail angel/hostels without
   chipping in an appropriate donation and/or
   work for stay

- expecting/demanding PCT hiker discounts from
   merchants (asking politely is fine)

- accepting rides to/from trail without offering
   to pay for gas (especially when rides are from
   regular trail angels)

Radar