[pct-l] Bear canisters

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Fri Sep 7 11:05:14 CDT 2007

The best resource for where bear cannistors are required in the Sierras is the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group.  They have a nice map showing the areas required and bearboxes.

http://www.sierrawildbear.org/foodstorage/map032107.pdf

As to the issue of buying vs renting, you have to ask yourself how often will you need a cannister and is it worth buying or not.

-Sean

I'm doing a hike starting in Horseshoe Meadows and going north up to Lake Tahoe.  From what I can tell, the Sequoia/Kings Canyon parks are the only area I'm required to have one.

I was wondering if it is easier just to rent a bear canister from one of the ranger stations and mail it back after I get through this area, or just to go ahead and buy one.

Thanks all.

Sam