[pct-l] Bear canisters

Alden Dale alden at thomasaquinas.edu
Fri Sep 7 11:22:03 CDT 2007

Yosemite regulations are as follows:
if you're camping somewhere that isn't:

-within 7 miles of a road
-above 9,600 feet
-within 1/2 mile of benson lake

Then you don't need any kind of bear storage device according to the
official Yosemite park site,
http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/wilderness/bfoodstorage.htm

Those are the current regulations. Print out that page and keep it with
you if a ranger asks. Some of them may not know that if you aren't doing
any of the above you are allowed to not use bear canisters or storage
boxes.

I had no problem following those regulations- it isn't too hard. I had no
problems with bears this year at all. I saw no bears through all of
yosemite, and saw one few days past yosemite at Ebbett's pass, and one by
Buck's lake.

I'm not sure of area south of Yosemite, but from Yosemite to the Oregon
border for sure are no required places for bear canisters.

Good luck, and God Bless!

Alden