[pct-l] olive oil

t.n. turner barnumbaileypdx at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 21 14:31:02 CST 2007

Hi Lindy,
I carried a small plastic container of olive oil on my hike. I only made it through California, so I can't say what it would be like to try to get olive oil in Oregon and Washington! But in CA, it wasn't that easy. All the bottles in stores were more than I needed and usually the small bottles were very expensive. So, after what I started with was gone; I did many things,  I split a bottle with another hiker in Big Bear (I think that's where it was) and then I found a half bottle in a hiker's box somewhere north of that and then I split another bottle found in a hiker box with yet another hiker. Then I had a friend take the part of the bottle I bought and hadn't used, back home with her and then had it sent to me in a different plastic bottle! I also got some twice from Trail Angels' homes! So, basically, it was either sent to me or I bought/found bottles along the way!! It really added to my dinners/lunches whichever I cooked that day.
I did meet one hiker at a post office that his mom sent him olive oil all along the way, not sure how many p.o.s he stopped at though!
Good luck and enjoy!
Tammy T.