[pct-l] USMC Birthday & Veterans Day

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 10 11:29:11 CST 2007

Jerry Goller wrote:

>232 years of walkin' talkin' hell, death, and destruction
>
>The meanest fighting force the world has ever seen
>
>Mountain tall, guerrilla tough, United States Marine.
>
>I'd go on with the rest of it but I suspect it's a
>bit....ah.....inappropriate for this forum.......   ;o)

In 1962 the Marine Corps stopped teaching unarmed combat to new recruits.
They found that in combat, the newbies would try to close with the enemy and
take them apart with their bare hands rather than just shoot them and be
done with it.  The attitude was bad for the casualty rate - and kept the
Navy medics too busy.

In any case, the article that follows is a very short history lesson. I
think it's appropriate to remember just what it is that keeps this country
free so that those who choose to do so can hike the long trails.

Walk softly,
Jim

>March 11, 2004

Return of the Marines: All-American warriors in Iraq
by W. Thomas Smith Jr.

Beginning this month, leathernecks from the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force
will return to Iraq, replacing elements of the Army's 82nd Airborne
Division. The return of the Marines is surely bad news for those desperate
to undermine the liberation of Iraq.

Not to take anything away from the U.S. Army — its soldiers have performed
magnificently, and will no doubt continue to do so — but America's enemies
have a particular fear of U.S. Marines.

During the first Gulf War in 1991, over 100,000 Iraqi soldiers were deployed
along the Iraqi-Kuwaiti coastline in anticipation of a landing by some
17,000 U.S. Marines. Terrified by what they had been taught about the combat
prowess of Marines, the Iraqi soldiers had nicknamed them "Angels of Death."
The moniker — first published by Pulitzer-winner Rick Atkinson in his
best-selling Crusade — carried over into the second Gulf war, last year, as
the 1st Marine Division swept across the Iraqi plains. Attacking American
forces were unsettling enough, but reports of the seaborne "Angels of Death"
being among the lead elements were paralyzing to many Iraqi combatants.

Despite less armor than other American ground forces, the Marines were among
the first to fight their way into Baghdad. And when intelligence indicated
that foreign troops were coming to the aid of Iraqi diehards, Marine Brig.
Gen. John Kelly stated, "we want all Jihad fighters to come here. That way
we can kill them all before they get bus tickets to New York City."

Typical Marine bravado, some say. But it works.

Best-selling author Tom Clancy once wrote, "Marines are mystical. They have
magic." It is this same magic, Clancy added, that "may well frighten
potential opponents more than the actual violence Marines can generate in
combat."

Fear of Marines is not a new phenomenon, nor is it unique to Iraqi soldiers.

Established in 1775, the U.S. Marine Corps came of age in World War I during
the 1918 Chateau Thierry campaign near the French village of Bouresches.
There, Marines assaulted a line of German machine-gun nests on an old
hunting preserve known as Belleau Wood. The fighting was terrible. Those
Marines who weren't cut down by the enemy guns captured the nests in a
grisly close-quarters slugfest. The shocked Germans nicknamed their foes,
teufelhunden (devil dogs).

"Marines are considered a sort of elite Corps designed to go into action
outside the United States," read a German intelligence report following the
battle. "They consider their membership in the Marine Corps to be something
of an honor. They proudly resent any attempts to place their regiments on a
par with other infantry regiments."

Twenty-four years later as the 1st Marine Division was steaming toward
Guadalcanal, a Japanese radio propagandist taunted that which the Japanese
soldiers feared most. "Where are the famous United States Marines hiding?"
the announcer asked. "The Marines are supposed to be the finest soldiers in
the world, but no one has seen them yet?"

Over the next three years, Marines would further their reputation at places
with names like Tarawa, Saipan, and Iwo Jima.

That reputation carried over into the Korean War.

"Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the American Marines," confessed a
captured North Korean major. It was a fear echoed by his Chinese allies. In
late 1950, Chinese premier Mao Tse Tung put out a contract on the 1st Marine
Division. The Marine division, according to Mao in written orders to the
commander of the Chinese 9th Army Group, "has the highest combat
effectiveness in the American armed forces. It seems not enough for our four
divisions to surround and annihilate its two regiments. You should have one
or two more divisions as a reserve force."

Though costly for both sides, the subsequent Chinese trap failed to destroy
the 1st Marine Division.

U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Frank Lowe later admitted, "The safest place in Korea
was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight!"

Over a decade later, Marines were the first major ground combat force in
Vietnam. Army Gen. William C. Westmoreland, who commanded all American
military forces in that country, conservatively stated he "admired the élan
of Marines." But despite the admiration, some Army leaders found their
equally proficient units wanting for similar respect.

In 1982, during the invasion of Grenada, Army General John Vessey, then
chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, telephoned one of his officers and
demanded to know why there were "two companies of Marines running all over
the island and thousands of Army troops doing nothing. What the hell is
going on?"

The reputation of Marines stems from a variety of factors: The Marine Corps
is the smallest, most unique branch of the U.S. armed forces. Though it is
organized as a separate armed service, it is officially a Naval
infantry/combined-arms force overseen by the secretary of the Navy. The
Corps' philosophical approach to training and combat differs from other
branches. Marine boot camp — more of a rite-of-passage than a training
program — is the longest and toughest recruit indoctrination program of any
of the military services. Men and women train separately. All Marines from
private to Commandant are considered to be first-and-foremost riflemen. And
special-operations units in the Marines are not accorded the same respect as
they are in other branches. The Marines view special operations as simply
another realm of warfighting. Marines are Marines, and no individual Marine
or Marine unit is considered more elite than the other.

Consequently, newly minted Marines believe themselves to be superior to
other soldiers, spawning understandable resentment from other branches.

But do Marines actually fight better than other soldiers? Rivals argue it's
not so much their ability to fight — though that's never been a question —
but that Marines are simply masters in the art of public relations.
President Harry Truman once stated that Marines "have a propaganda machine
that is almost equal to Stalin's." Fact is, while other armed services have
lured recruits with promises of money for college, "a great way of life," or
"being all you can be;" the Marines have asked only "for a few good men [and
today, women]" with the mettle to join their ranks.

Not surprisingly, there have been numerous unsuccessful efforts — primarily
on the part of some Army and Navy officers — to have the Corps either
disbanded or absorbed into the Army or Navy. Most of those efforts took
place in the first half of the 20th Century. But even after the Marines'
stellar performance in World War II, Army General Frank Armstrong proposed
bringing them into the Army fold and condescendingly referring to the Corps
as "a small bitched-up army talking Navy lingo."

As late as 1997, Assistant Secretary of the Army Sara Lister took aim at the
Marines. "I think the Army is much more connected to society than the
Marines are." Lister said before an audience at Harvard University. "Marines
are extremists. Wherever you have extremists, you've got some risks of total
disconnection with society. And that's a little dangerous."

Of course, the Commandant of the Marine Corps demanded an apology. Lister
was fired. And Marines secretly said among themselves, "Yes we are
extremists. We are dangerous. That's why we win wars and are feared
throughout the world."

Despite its detractors, the Marines have become a wholly American
institution — like baseball players, cowboys, and astronauts — in the eyes
of most Americans. Marines indeed may be extreme, but America loves them,
extremism and all. And fortunately for America, her enemies in the war
against terror will continue to shudder upon hearing, "the Marines have
landed."

— A former U.S. Marine infantry leader and paratrooper, W. Thomas Smith Jr.
is a freelance journalist whose work has appeared in a variety of national
and international publications. His third book, Alpha Bravo Delta Guide to
American Airborne Forces, has just been published.

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/