[pct-l] Re. GPS and Maps of trail

Chris Johnson johnsonc80 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 22:21:22 CDT 2007

Hey Sven, I don't have any experience with Delormes Earthmate PN-20 but it
sounds like a cool new GPS unit.

I just wanted to mention that it's possible to import the actual USGA PCT
track (or Google Earth track, same thing?) into some GPS units. I managed to
import the entire detailed PCT track into my Magellan XP... although I had
to use a third party program to do this, since most GPS devices won't allow
you to edit their base maps or import 130,000 point track files.. like the
PCT. Anyway, it was cool to have on the trail, since I could know exacly
where I was relative to the trail at all times. Although I didn't actully
carry the GPS very often on the trail since it was a low snow year... and
the footprints were easy to follow.

Happy GPSing,

-- Mr. Parkay