[pct-l] O.d. COYOTE....Slackpacking the O.d. Coyote way.

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Sat Nov 3 21:10:29 CDT 2007

Hi Jim,

I agree with much of what you've written, many of these things needed to
be said IMHO, and I appreciate your taking the time to write it all down
and send it to us.  However, I want to again point out the difference
between disagreeing with someone in a respectful way on the one hand,
versus "character assassination" on the other. (Yeah, I guess I'm trying
say that my way of arguing is better than somebody else's way, so I'm
not following HYOH principles when it comes to arguments--I'm trying to
get everyone to argue my way! But maybe some of what I have to say will
be useful...  I'm mainly trying to say that there's a respectful way to
treat each other and a hurtful way.  I for one hope I will always choose
the respectful way.)

To me, character assassination goes something like this:  Someone says
something to me that I disagree with.  Instead of discussing the points
of that topic and pointing out where and why I disagree with him, I end
up making statements that attempt to ridicule the person, or question
his intelligence or character, or belittle the person, or shame the person.

Here are some examples from recent posts.  I've chosen some from both
sides, so you can see that it goes both ways.

"It appears you seem to be suffering from selective memory as
well.....very common with older folks."   <--- insulting the person's
intelligence and ridiculing his age, or attempting to make him
insignificant because of his age

"Since he's a lot smarter than you, maybe you should pay more attention
to him. "  <---- insulting the person's intelligence instead of sticking
to the topic being discussed

"But you know O.d., some folks don't get wiser as they get older they just get older and never see the light. I suspect you may be part of the later group."  <---- criticizing the person's intelligence instead of sticking to the topic being discussed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally in favor of discussing things--even
arguing about things--that we disagree about.  But my hope is that we
could maintain some kind of respect towards each other.  Treat each
other with kindness even.

I have a lot of respect for speed hikers as well as for slow hikers. I
love covering a lot of ground in one day, and I also love going slow or
even just sitting and staring and drinking in the beauty of a place.  I
have a lot of respect and admiration for ALL hikers.  We are one little
piece of sanity in a world gone crazy for power, for money, for things.
We know in our bones the value of deep connection with our Mother Earth
and with each other.  I hope we can remember that we have more in common
than we have differences when we get into heated arguments with each
other.  We're of the same tribe, sure we can disagree, but I have hope
that we can love each other in the process.  Or at least treat each
other with respect and kindness.

One last point:  I ain't no saint.  These things are things that I
aspire to, but don't always succeed at.  When I fail, I hope I can admit
it and ask for forgiveness.  And forgiveness is something that I hope to
be able to offer to those in my life who sometimes do hurtful things but
then see what they've done and ask to be forgiven.

Peace,

Greg