[pct-l] Cooking on the dry trail - and the safest option is ... ?

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Fri Mar 23 17:31:03 CDT 2007

So, what did we learn from all that chat on cooking fire safety?

There were lots of warnings about how dangerous it is, but I was kind of
hoping for some practical conclusions on how to improve safety.

What about ezbits, for example?  Don't they make a very small flame that's
significantly less likely to blow around than a big alcohol flame?  What
about the differences between various alcohol stoves?  Of course there are
differences and some send out a much larger, more chaotic flame.

So, any insights on how to do the unsafe thing of cooking food on the dry
trail in the safest possible way?

Paul