[pct-l] Cooking on the dry trail - and the safest option is ... ?

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Fri Mar 23 19:24:08 CDT 2007

Paul Mitchell wrote:
> So, what did we learn from all that chat on cooking fire safety?
>
> There were lots of warnings about how dangerous it is, but I was kind of
> hoping for some practical conclusions on how to improve safety.
>
> What about ezbits, for example?  Don't they make a very small flame that's
> significantly less likely to blow around than a big alcohol flame?

i can attest to that, since i used solid fuel exclusively on my
thru-hike. only once did i have a near-incident, when i had poorly
balanced my stove on a rock, and a sudden gust of wind blew it over. the
burning fuel bar tumbled into some dry grass. fortunately i caught it
immediately and put it out, but if my back had been turned it could have
caused a bigger problem.

girlscout