[pct-l] Money on the Trail

Daniel Bailey greenhiker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:25:04 CDT 2007

Most post offices have debit card systems.  If a town is particularly small,
you may want
to call them to inquire whether they accept debit cards.

You can get up to $50.00 cash back in addition to a purchase.  One of my
favorite "tricks" was
to purchase a pre-stamped envelop for approximately 45 cents and then asked
for whatever amount
of cash back I needed.  I typically carried $40 with me.

In one small town, I ran into the problem where the P.O. was only able to
give me $20.  I simply made do.

Be well,

Daniel

mike hughes <huggies08318 at yahoo.com> wrote:
 What have people who have thru hiked the PCT done for
money along the trail? Obviously one wouldn't carry
large amounts of cash but are the smaller towns along
the PCT equipped for making transactions via debit
cards or ATMs. And how much would someone carry at any
one time?