[pct-l] questions for couples

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Mon Mar 12 14:10:26 CDT 2007

I think some versions of the Wisperlite (the International?) can run on
unleaded gasoline--this is probably the best bet for fueling such a
stove in resupply towns that don't have outdoor/sporting good stores
that sell white gas.  Just make sure you know how to clean the jet!  If
you don't have the "International", I think the only difference is the
jet itself--MSR makes different ones for white gas, unleaded gas, and
kerosene.  (If you have the kerosene jet, diesel fuel might also work,
but that's harder to find than unleaded...)

That said, as a Whisperlite owner, I'll say two things about the stove:
it doesn't whisper, and it's not light.  However, it's the cat's meow
for a winter mountaineering expedition where you need a bomber (well,
except for the pump...) stove to make gallons of water from snow.

Although I'd never recommend a Whisperlite (or any white gas stove--but
the Simmerlite is the one I'd recommend if I did...) to anyone for
non-winter Sierra use, I offer today's free white-gas stove advice:
alcohol gel sanitizer (Purell) makes an excellent priming fuel--use it
right under/around the generator tube, which is what you're trying to
heat.  White gas itself is a terrible primer, and will result in carbon
buildup and clogged jets.