[pct-l] device advice

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 13:55:22 CST 2007

I auctually think bears tend to like the flavor of GPS  - it tends to taste more like a TURON.  I am very familiar with GPS and use it with my volunteering with SAR but in the 3years/ 2400 miles I have hiked on the PCT I never needed it.  In order for it not to be wasted weight you would have to spend an enormous amount of time uploading waypoints or purchasing internal maps.  And BTW my batteries for my compass and map last forever.

  I think a GPS are great for Xcountry or traversing in unknown or hidden snow fields but as long as you are not first and know how to read a map you should be fine without a GPS

  SB

Catherine Worth <ceworth at earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi hikers,
I had been planning to hike the old-fashioned map-and-compas way, but my grandmother seems to feel I'll be much less likely to get lost and be eaten by a bear if I carry a gps device. She is insisting on buying me one for her own peace of mind. Any advice on what device might be best for a thru-hike?
Thank you mucho mucho mucho,
Katie
unsubscribe or change options: