[pct-l] device advice

matt maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Tue Mar 6 13:58:36 CST 2007

Katie
You can get just as lost, or even more so with a GPS.

Navigation on the PCT is easy and quite frankly could be done without
aide of a map, compass, or GPS.

There is no substitute for "common sense".

All that aside you need a map to locate yourself, after determining your
location with a GPS.

Some GPS units are "mapping" GPS while others are not. Mapping means
there is software with some sort of map to help locate you.

Garmin has several different models, I'd go with a Etrex Vista CSx &
Mapsource TOPO USA and a 1 GB micro Sd memory card

You can download the entire western US Cd to the unit then

Just remember to have extra batteries

Have Fun - Be safe
Trail90