[pct-l] Dry winter in Sierra

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Jan 24 09:47:47 CST 2007

 From the Santa Rosa, CA Press Democrat

With the winter of 2007 shaping up to be the driest on record, Sonoma
County water authorities are pumping up an inflatable Russian River dam
to its summertime level in order to meet water demand.

It's too early of course to predict, but I'm starting to open my
summer's plan to include the possibility of starting my section hike
from Castle Crags to Seiad in mid- June rather than mid-July.  If you
run Google EArth, and download current data on precipitation and snow
water content for the West,
(http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/earth/index.html) or check the
postholer.com website, you'll see the levels throughout California are
really low.

This year may be a NOBOs delight!  No predictions though...

Jeff, just Jeff...