[pct-l] bear canisters

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Thu Feb 1 13:03:32 CST 2007

Yosemite has bear boxes at the five backcountry High Sierra Camps
(although you could always store your food in the camps' kitchens
anyway...)--these were installed in the past few years.  Of these camps,
only Glen Aulin is on the PCT, but it's only 5.5 miles north of Tuolumne
Meadows.  The only other backcountry bear boxes in Yomsemite are in
Little Yosemite Valley, far off the PCT, but on the JMT.  Yosemite used
to have fixed cables and poles at some locations (including Lyell
Canyon), but these were not effective and have been removed.

In the "frontcountry", there are bear boxes at all campgrounds and
trailheads--dozens are available in the Tuolumne Meadows area.