[pct-l] Bear canisters, 4-8 days of food...

Scott Heeschen sheeschen at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 1 13:40:27 CST 2007

Hi Mt. Goat, and whoever asked the original question - I saw mention of the
Bearikade capacity and felt the need to chime in.

I used the Expedition size Bearikade, and made it from Kennedy Meadows to
VVR with it, which was 12 days.  It fit just fine in my ULA P-2, sitting
upright in the middle of the pack, surrounded by all my other gear - it was
actually very convenient during the day, since the top top of the cannister
was accessible from the top of the pack.  I could get into it without having
to unpack much, if any, stuff.  I've also used it with a GoLite Speed pack
(frameless) in the same manner, and it kind of acted like a frame.

However in retrospect, I really only had about 11 days of food in there -
Prune Pirate ('03) hiked in over Kearsarge with a bunch of food to give to
thru-hikers (nice trail magic!) and a ranger had just been helicoptered in
past Pinchot Pass to clear out the food they had left behind from the
previous year.  He didn't have to ask twice if we wanted to help him out!
Even had a can of Guiness - woohoo!  I figured I ate about a day's worth of
food between those two trail angels.

I switched to a small BearVault at Mammoth (could barely hold 4 days of
food, but that was enough), and then used an old Ursack (yellow fabric, no
liner) for the rest of the hike, as I had up to Kennedy Meadows.

    Buck Larceny 2005