[pct-l] How many hiker/skiers here?

Hippy Notify hippynotttify at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 3 23:13:44 CST 2007

I just got back from Breckenridge where I went skiing for a week.  Three days of instruction followed by two days on my own, on the green runs.  Until then I'd only been a hiker.

It occurred to me that hikers and skiers have a lot in common.  And if you're into both, when the CT or PCT is snowed under, you can still be outdoors enjoying a great sport.   Also you can use some of your hiking gear.  For instance, I used my hiking clothing to stay warm while skiing in zero degree temps (base layer, micropuff pullover, precip top & bottom, smartwool hiking socks & liners, wool cap, and winter gloves) and could have used my trekking poles instead of ski poles.

Also I think that combining different outdoor activities will keep you in better shape overall.  Skiing definitely improves your coordination and exercises your joints and knees.