[pct-l] Eating on the trail

Tom Bache tbache at san.rr.com
Mon Dec 10 17:50:05 CST 2007

Donna and Alden,

Thanks for the posts about lack of appetite on the trail.  I was wondering
if I was the only one with this "problem."  I posted about it some time ago,
and the best advice I got was from a guy who said ³don¹t worry, you¹ll get
hungry before you die of malnutrition.²  I haven't tested this yet -- my
longest hikes are only 6-7 days.

I used to worry about being unable to eat even 1000 calories per day on my
strenuous weeklong hikes (my preference is to hike as many miles as my aging
body can stand). There are days, common in hot weather, when I can eat
nothing at all.  But it seems to do no harm, and maybe even does some good
(my wife seems to appreciate my post-hike waistline).

Donna¹s lament that Jeff ate more food, but lost more weight is a common
lament among  athletes.  Spend some time with elite athletes in endurance
sports where low-weight is an advantage (e.g., distance running).  You¹ll
find that it is a truism that all the men eat whenever they are hungry,  and
all the women diet constantly.   The y-chromosome in action!

Tom Bache
San Diego