[pct-l] Rescue Insurance

Brian Honnold bhonnold at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 6 21:45:27 CST 2007

My sons, 8 and 13 and I were airlifted out of a difficult situation in June
of this year off the PCT, West of Round Valley which is about 2 miles North
of the PCT parking lot at Donner Summit.  What started as a nice one night
trip to Sand Ridge Lake turned ugly.  We lost the trail out in the snow and
ended up on a fire road to nowhere.  We were following Castle Creek down
toward Highway 80 when my asthmatic 8yr old son began to get anxious and
have trouble.  It was obvious that we needed help.  I called 911 from a
ridge and they dispatched a California Highway Patrol Helicopter from
Auburn.

The sheriff who handled the situation assured us that this was a routine
pick up for the area and that it was a service provided by the CHP.  He
drove us back to our car from the Boreal Ridge Ski Area parking lot.

We later found out that the California Highway Patrol serves several
counties with two helicopters in the Sacramento area as a service to hikers.

I have nothing but respect for these men, Sheriffs, Paramedics and Pilots
who everyday serve for our safety.

Brian H

Folsom, CA