[pct-l] Rescue Insurance

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 23:05:58 CST 2007

I volunteer for SAR in San Bernardino County - Section C in SoCal.  And there has never been a time when a subject has paid a dime for a rescue.  Riverside County is also this way as far as I know the rest of California.  If you are a CA resident then your county of residence fits the bill if you are from out of state then the county where you got lost fits the bill.  We have sometimes JOKED about wanting to have a subject fit the bill or at least buy us lunch - but this usually happens when subject is found on the couch oblivious to our and our families needless personal risk and worry.

  SB

Brian Honnold <bhonnold at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                My sons, 8 and 13 and I were airlifted out of a difficult situation in June of this year off the PCT, West of Round Valley which is about 2 miles North of the PCT parking lot at Donner Summit.  What started as a nice one night trip to Sand Ridge Lake turned ugly.  We lost the trail out in the snow and ended up on a fire road to nowhere.  We were following Castle Creek down toward Highway 80 when my asthmatic 8yr old son began to get anxious and have trouble.  It was obvious that we needed help.  I called 911 from a ridge and they dispatched a California Highway Patrol Helicopter from Auburn.

  The sheriff who handled the situation assured us that this was a routine pick up for the area and that it was a service provided by the CHP.  He drove us back to our car from the Boreal Ridge Ski Area parking lot.

  We later found out that the California Highway Patrol serves several counties with two helicopters in the Sacramento area as a service to hikers.

  I have nothing but respect for these men, Sheriffs, Paramedics and Pilots who everyday serve for our safety.

  Brian H
  Folsom, CA