[pct-l] Gaiters?

Robert W. Freed robert at engravingpros.com
Tue Dec 4 23:47:27 CST 2007

I found gaiters to be a big help in keeping my socks clean. But I just got tired of the extra step in taking my shoes on and off after a few weeks. If you are going with tennis shoes I think they are a must have for the snow. I just have a $20 set of trail gaiters from REI. Besides having to replace the tie down that goes under the soul every few hundred miles they have worked great. I'll be using the same pair this year.

  Robert

I've never really worn gaiters before, but am wondering if they are a
huge
help in the desert and/or snowy portions of the trail?  I did my AT
thru
this year without using them once, but I'm assuming the type of dirt is
different out there, especially in the desert.  I'm picturing smaller
grains
of sand that may sneak inbetween the shoe and sock.  My theory on the
AT was
that as long as you lace your shoes up tightly, and have thick socks
that
act as a barrier allowing no gap for dirt, your shoes stay scree-free.
But...perhaps the desert and snow pack in the Sierras change all of
that?
I'll definitely pick up the Simblissity Leva Gaiters if I opt for any,
but
I'd like to save my money if they aren't really a big deal.