[pct-l] Ursack(s) for Oregon

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Wed Dec 5 10:44:25 CST 2007

Good morning, Ollen,

While you are certainly welcome to bag, or double-bag, as you wish anywhere outside of the SIBBG area, the fact is: You don't have to.  I can speak with most familiarity about Oregon, and here bears are not a problem.  There may have been instances where bears have gotten into a PCT hiker's food, but in the last 47 years I've not heard of one.  In the entire tri-state area, bears .... except for habituated park bears .... are wild and reclusive, and they avoid human contact.

I usually carry my food in light-weight stuff sacks, and I sleep with them close at hand.  Bears won't come close .... maybe because I smell too bad.  Hanging the food is a pain, and leaving it on the ground well away from my sleeping bag could invite their investigation.  Except for a few additional ounces, a Ursak can be a fine food storage bag.  A determined bear could eventually get in, but if the bag is secured to a tree within hearing distance of your sleeping bag you should hear the commotion before any significant damage is done, and you could chase the bear off.

Steel-Eye