[pct-l] Bearikade rental - bear canister rentals in general

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Wed Dec 5 07:37:53 CST 2007

It all sounds so simple - until you consider it only from a thru-hiker perspective, i.e. from the PCT...
Then one must also consider the logistics...  The only location 'on' the PCT to rent bear canisters is
at Tuolumne Meadows (assuming it's open when you get there in heavier snow years...  The only vendor that rented specifically for PCT thrus was Bear Vault (up to and including the 2007 thru
season), but it's now a 'purchase' program (as Sly pointed out) - but a 'good buy' (info below)...

I have tried to obtain 'clarification' from all agencies concerned in the previous 3 seasons (2004-6)...
many times getting conflicting info from within each agency (Seki, Inyo, Yos)...
I, too, proposed that the USFS have canisters available at Kennedy Meadows (in 2003), even
if they had to contract it out or build a small structure in the vicinity and man it with volunteers or limited hours - "Great idea; that has potential; we'll look into it."  Last I heard of it...

Yes, there are rentals from the Forest Service and Park Service (Seki & Yos), but they differ a little
(I'm waiting for responses from all 3 regarding more 'details' regarding rentals and regs)...

Here is what I know about agency rentals at the moment:

Seki and Yosemite will NOT ship/mail a canister to you; you must pick it up at one of the rental
locations...  You can mail it back (to the specific location you rented it from), but there are stipulations
and probable extra charges...  Maximum rental period is 14 days (waiting for response from Yosemite - couldn't find any on website)...  Deposit - cash or CC - is required (waiting Yosemite response, again - assume it will be same as Seki??)...

Seki, see http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_bc.htm and click on "rent at most park visitor centers"

Yosemite, see http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/wilderness/bfoodstorage.htm , right sidebar...

Inyo NF will NOT ship a canister to you either, it must be picked up from one of 4 locations -
charges differ at Lone Pine and Mammoth versus Bishop and Lee Vining...
See http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/bear.shtml , scroll to bottom of page for costs
(waiting more info - deposit, max rental period, mail back, etc.)...

In Seki and Yos, bear canisters, when and where required, are for 'camping' - so, technically, if you
are hiking and within hiking distance/time of proper storage (bear boxes) - you are legal (I just hope
the ranger questioning you is aware of this!)...
There used to be a "thru-hiker exemption", but Seki now simply states:
"These  regulations apply to all groups. Through hikers along the Pacific Crest Trail and the John
Muir Trail with a valid wilderness permit must use portable, park approved, bear-proof food storage
containers or camp at sites with food storage lockers and use the lockers. Hanging food (e.g.
counterbalancing) in restricted areas is prohibited until snow prevents access to food storage lockers."
Yosemite's web page states (regarding bear canisters being required) "This requirement does not
apply to food that's being transported or eaten."
We will also have to patiently wait for Spring and the updates/major changes to the regs (such as
the expanded area N of Tuolumne Meadows to the park boundary someone previously mentioned)...

For Bear Vault PCT purchase, see http://www.bearvault.com/bearvault_pct.php ...  $65 includes
shipping to Kennedy Meadows (for a nobo) per your ETA (they will also ship to Tuolumne
Meadows or Echo Lake)...  Great price!  Lowest price I found on the net was $65 plus $8 s/h for
$73 total...

For Bearikade rental, see https://id262.securedata.net/wild-ideas/rent.html ...
Note the time limit (shipping return, etc.) and other stipulations after you've calculated the base cost...

IMHO, over time the regulations are becoming less flexible, the areas requiring bear canisters for
'camping' are expanding, and there will still be confusion both within the agencies involved and
amongst the backcountry users...  As so well said previously 1) by the Sierra you will be in great
shape and quite capable of handling the extra weight of a canister and 2) you will have both peace of
mind and the flexibility to camp 'anywhere' along the trail - so bite the bullet and use a bear canister in
the Sierra...  I don't think you will regret it!

Enough bear canister info overload for now...  Happy trails!!!
Jim