[pct-l] Spot Satellite Messenger

Brian McLaughlin bmclaughlin at bigplanet.com
Fri Aug 24 12:18:04 CDT 2007

I cannot say I agree.

For me, the wilderness experience is largely a matter of
being present in the wilderness. That is not affected by
knowing that I might meet another hiker who is carrying
a communication device.

Also, the fact of such devices, even if I had one in my
pack, would not encourage me to take a single extra risk
or hike any differently than I do now. It would be, as it
is meant to be, a last resort in the event of dire need.
Relying on rescuers to pull your chestnuts out of the
fire for you is the height of irresponsibility, unless you
have done all you could do to prevent putting them in
that situation. They have lives, families, jobs they must
leave to go out and haul your sorry ass back to safety.

If I ever did start to carry some satellite comm device,
like a PLB, it would have only one purpose - to help
get me back to my wife and child if it came down to
a situation where I could not rescue myself. If it ever
came to that, I would kiss the inventor.

How the device is used is not up to the device, but to
the user. There's no reason why it should affect your
wilderness experience, except for the better. If it
detracts from it, it is only because you allowed it to.

Happy hiking.