[pct-l] snow in Section H (and fording/water)

Monica Varsanyi Monica.Varsanyi at asu.edu
Thu Aug 23 12:30:52 CDT 2007

Dear Marilyn and all,

My husband and I just got back from a SOBO JMT hike (finished at the top
of Whitney on August 15!) and there is absolutely no snow on the trail
(or barely anywhere at all).  In terms of fords, we didn't get our shoes
wet once on the entire trip--the only place we actually had to take off
our shoes was to ford Evolution Creek, and even then, the water was
between our ankles and mid-calf.  All other crossings can be done easily
by hopping rocks/using log crossings.

In terms of water availability, we had no problems, though many seasonal
streams are dried up.  Most of the bigger streams and creeks were still
running fine (albeit low) when we went through between July 20 and Aug
15.  There is a dry stretch of 5-6 miles SOBO just out of Reds Meadow
(after Deer Creek), but the guidebooks make note of this.

Have a great time!
Ponch