[pct-l] Spot Satellite Messenger

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Thu Aug 23 20:19:51 CDT 2007

This idea upsets me. Maybe I'm just old and hate change; then again this
is a change I don't like.

With this device, one looses some sense of the wilderness experience --
that of being on one's own and dependent on one's own skills. Instead
any time something goes wrong, one can press a button and be rescued. A
trip in the wilds becomes more like walking in an urban park.  And even
if one doesn't carry such a device, just knowing that the people you
meet can call for your rescue still lessens the wilderness experience.

Cell phones have a somewhat similar effect depending if one is within
range of a tower.

what do the rest of you think?

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>