[pct-l] Alt XC Route to Burkhart Saddle

Matt Maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Fri Apr 13 19:11:06 CDT 2007

Hey to the list....
There are some hearty thru / section hikers out there with reasonable
cross country navigational skills who might want to use this route
around the closure in Cooper Canyon.

At year 2000 Data Book mile 389.7, about 1.7 miles from Islip Saddle,
you'd turn north on a use trail to the summit of Mount Williamson. This
is a well beaten path, just below the summit the route turns left at a
"Y" fork, it follows Pleasant View ridge and descends  very steeply to
a  "V"  saddle, then ascends steeply again following the ridge. You'll
start to descend to a dip and the route appears to turn to the
right..... bear left here.

You'll continue a short way and turn left and descend the ridge to
another saddle, then ascend steeply to Pallet Mountain's wooded summit.
Continue west though the wooded summit area following the faint use
trail/ route until it starts to descend steeply, here you are on your
way to Burkhart Saddle and the Burkhart trail.

When you reach the saddle hang a left and start the long descent into
Cooper Canyon.

The route is about 3.2 miles to Burkhart Saddle and 3.2 miles down to
mile 395.7 By-passing the closure. you elevation gain and loss is about
1200 & 2000 feet

If your are "Directionally Challenged" I highly recommend you stick to
the trail... However if you have a bit of adventure in your blood and
don't mind very steep cross country this would be a much nicer way to go.

I would strongly caution any one trying this route not to do it if the
clouds are low or it is real foggy. Otherwise it could be a nice
diversion from the trail.

Contact me off list if you want a map or waypoints, or have "other comments"

Regards
Trail90