[pct-l] tent suggestions

Matt Maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Fri Apr 13 17:20:54 CDT 2007

Amanda
I have over the years used most everything, but a tarp.... (except as a
shelter around the common area, while car camping)

I find bivy's claustrophobic, if you don't mind it, it is the most light
weight option by far. My Black Diamond winter bivy is 9oz (as I recall)

The tent I used last year, and the 2 previous is an MSR Zoid1. I like it
because it has good ventilation. I've never used it in a rainstorm so I
couldn't vouch for it's weather proof qualities.

I have a Tarp Tent Contrail  now which I'll be using this year, I was
impressed with it online and more so now that I have it in hand....24.5 oz

Another thing about a bivy is you have little "personal space" and if
you need to hole up for a couple days because of weather, injury
or....it's gonna be cramped. No actually it will be down right
unpleasant (code for it really S*&^)

My main use for a tent here in SoCal is as a refuge from gnat, flys, &
mosquitoes. Also the occasional  wind storm.

 A tarp isn't going to help you much with those problems IMO.

Trail90