[pct-l] More info on the Sawyer water filter, it removes viruses mechanically - no chemicals.

arm chair armchairhiker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 23:22:44 CDT 2007

Hi all,

Here is an excellent description of the Sawyer water Purifier that I post
about last week.

http://www.northernlightstrading.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=2281!194

Here is some of the info from that site:

The first and thus far only portable filtration device to physically removes
viruses. Which it does at a >5.5 log (99.9997%) rate exceeding EPA and NSF
recommendations. Removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria like salmonella,
cholera, and E. coli. And 6 log (99.9999%) of all Protozoa such as Giardia
and Cryptosporidium. You will find these removal rates to equal or exceed
competitive options. EPA guidelines allow ten times more Protozoa left in
the water than the SP135 allows.

It eliminates viruses mechanically - no chemicals.

*Eliminates Viruses:* Hepatitis A (HAV), Poliovirus, Norwalk, Rotavirus,
Adenovirus,
Hepatitis E (HEV), Coxsackievirus, Echovirus, Reovirus, Astrovirus,
Coronavirus (SARS)

-------------

If you want a filter that does everything except viruses (like a regular
filter) see the Sawyer biological filter.

--------------
Sawyer Inline Water Filter SP120

Removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria like salmonella, cholera, and E.
coli. And 6 log (99.9999%) of all Protozoa such as Giardia and
Cryptosporidium. You will find these removal rates to equal or exceed
competitive options. EPA guidelines allow ten times more Protozoa left in
the water than the SP120 allows.

http://moontrail.com/sawyer-sp120-inline-water-filter.php

-----------------

Erik (who made those great maps) just got his yesterday and posted on the
PCT2007 :

> This filter is awesome! I just got mine today. I hooked it up inline
> right in the drinking tube that runs to my Platy bladder. You can suck
> right on the tube and there is very little resistance. Instant filtered
> water. If I need purified camp water I can just disconnect it at the
> junction and squeeze the water bladder and the water comes out through
> the filter at a decent rate. And best of all, it weighs only a couple
> ounces (I got the filter version). If this thing works half as good as
> it claims at purifying the bad stuff out of the water this is a huge
> breakthrough. Thanks ads for turning us on to these!

You can get the biological filter at REI and you should be able to special
order the Purifier at REI. I got mine straight from Sawyer.com.

The weight on the biological filter is 1.75 on my scale and much small is
size than the Purifier. The Purifier is about twice as big and heavy, about
3 - 6 ounces. I didn't weigh mine while dry and it now has water in it.

I too put the filter in line from a bladder.

Hope the above info is of interest to you.

Keeping it clean,

- armchair