[pct-l] shoes

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 18 12:31:42 CST 2006

I also used the Vasque Breeze for most of the trail and never got a
blister. These aren't a traditional leather boot but combine a heavier sole
with a lightweight well ventilated upper. I have trouble finding boots that
fit and the Breeze fit me well which was the primary consideration in
selecting them.
To answer the original question, my observation when I went through this
year was that a lot of people stayed with lightweight footwear and didn't
use crampons. I switched to a slightly heaver boot for kicking steps in the
Sierra snow but the Breeze would have worked better for me given the
conditions I encountered. I also carried crampons. I used them a couple of
times because I had them, but I would have been fine without them. For
reference, I entered the Sierra past mid-June and went slower than the
thru-hikers so I experienced mostly soft snow conditions.

Frank Dumville
Snap
WA-OR 05, CA 06