[pct-l] ghosts on the PCT

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sat Dec 23 23:26:57 CST 2006

The ghost story is reminiscent of scary campfire stories I heard at
summer camp in Julian about "la llorona", who walks along streams at
night, weeping for her children that drowned in the water.  In various
renditions she drowned them herself, or she is a witch that seeks out
children to drown.  I think that story's origin could come from the
sound of running water.  Have you ever pitched tent near a creek and
found, in the middle of a sleepless night, that the creek sounds like
human voices singing, talking or crying?  I certainly have.  Since
Julian and Lake Morena are so close to the border it seems natural for a
Mexican ghost story to make its way there and morph into a local legend.
Marion