[pct-l] who has custody of the Manning registers?

cmkudija at earthlink.net cmkudija at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 4 19:02:32 CST 2006

David,

AFAIK, there is NO formal custody of any of the PCT registers.   At some
time this may be a PCTA function, but right now it isn't.  Believe it or
not, the PCTA is actively working on physical trail issues, including
fundraising to acquire land to protect the trail and the trail corridor.
This latter effort takes more time and people than I've ever realized.

This said, there are several individuals who have expressed a strong
interest to acquire and perhaps to develop an archiving system for trail
registers, including lists of thru-hike completers.  I have encouraged these
individuals when they've talked to me to talk to the main PCTA office and
have tried to give as much verbal support as I can to their ideas and
passions for hiker history.  Or herstory :) - whatever.    I'm going to
suggest that a volunteer archivist be appointed and empowered to track down
registers and obtain either the genuine articles or copies, so that the
human history of the PCT can be maintained.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija (PCT Board Member, term expiring 2008)
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Ceanothus (see-ah-no-thus) or California lilac:  Shrubs or small trees,
often with divaricate, sometimes spiny, twigs...[flowers] small but showy,
white to blue or purplish, sometimes lavender or pinkish, borne in terminal
or lateral panicles or umbellike cymes.
                                                               Philip A.
Munz
                                                               A California