[pct-l] Trail Information

david booth dbooth at cyberone.com.au
Mon Dec 4 19:08:34 CST 2006

In the great tradition of the PCT-L how about starting to provide
some really up-to-date information about the trail.
Like a 2006-7 update of Yogi's "update" so that 2007 hikers are armed
with the latest trail information.

I am thinking of trail conditions (not water since Asabat does this).

During my hikes on the PCT,  I have instituted a rating system called
"Aussie Approved".
It refers to mainly to campsites. The "Aussie Approved campsites" are
marked with twigs on the trail, in the shape of "AA" and an arrow
pointing to the site.
I think twigs are ecologically sound as they are bio-degradable.

I particularly like high sites with views, usually without water. I
don't like camping in damp dingy valleys.

I also introduced an AAA rating system for lakes in Oregon. For
example: Crater Lake AAAA, Little Crater Lake AAA, Brahma Lake AAA,
Upper Deadfall Lake AAA, Cliff lake AAB, Dumbell lake AAB, Elk Lake
AAB, Summit Lake AAA, Rosary Lake AAA, Twin Ponds ZZZ. I decided on
the ratings based on scenic beauty, mosquito numbers, campsites,
huckleberries,water quality, weather etc. (very subjective).

What about places where you lose the trail? I have a few. The best
was Mission Creek (Aussie Dave's shortcut).

Other miscellaneous stuff from 2006:
Elk Lake was said to be defunct but really lives and you can send
your boxes there again. They also serve nice food, including a
milkshake with 6 scoops of ice cream :-) You can also leave a parcel
at Olallie Lake store but can not send it there by mail. Big Lake
Youth Camp was a fantastic stop and mail drop, but you need to check
if it will be open (it closed on 3 September this year).

Thanks again to all PCT-L listers and lurkers. It is a great
privilege to have completed the PCT as a section hiker over four
years, and to meet many of you in person. It is an experience I will
never forget.
I am hoping to do some more PCT-JMT hiking in 2007. See ya on the trail.
best regards
David Booth
(Aussie Dave) aka Carmans Man
Canberra Australia