[pct-l] water treatment

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Wed Aug 30 19:55:00 CDT 2006

I'm with Jeff, just Jeff.  Being an old backpacker (about to hit the big
5-0) I also started hiking in the early 70's before water filters were
sold.  After spending 35 days on the trail in '96, and having our water
filter clogging almost daily, we decided to quit treating water in the
Sierras.  We have done 30-50 trail days each summer since with no water
treatment and no ill effects.  Just lucky, I guess.  It helps that our
llamas haul ten liters of water, so we fill up once a day from the best
source available.   We very often stay in dry camps because we have
plenty of water in the packs.  We especially like camping on ridge tops
if the weather is fine.
Marion