[pct-l] Gun Wimps

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Aug 20 02:33:37 CDT 2006

Pygmy,
I agree with many thinks that you say including the gun on the trail matter.
However,  I agree with Jerry that a gun can be an excellent defensive
weapon,if you know how to use it properly, not just an offensive weapon.
Take the USMC 45 caliber pistol which was developed during the Boxer
Rebellion strictly as a defensive weapon designed to stop a charging enemy
combatant at close range.
It is not all that accurate at long range, but at short range with its
rounded lead tip which mushrooms upon impact it will stop anything.
I was a marksmanship instructor my last year in the Marine Corps so I know a
thing or two about guns.
It does not take that long to clear the holster and squeeze the trigger if
you know how to handle a gun.
If you think you are in imminent danger you can always lock & load ahead of
time or, if necessary, unlock  ahead of time then all you have to do is
squeeze the trigger.
Talking about watching to many John Wayne movies, your comment about using a
gun to shoot down a tree for river crossings seems to be something only John
Wayne could do..... You  need a machine gun for that and we certainly don't
want machine guns on the trail.
I could give you an example of how to use a gun for self defense but,
unfortunately, that would leave you with a nice little round hole between
your running lights and you are to nice of a guy for me to do that to you.
Cheers  &  happy trails Pygmy, hope to see you on the trail some day

JMT Reinhold
Your trail companion  &  leave your guns at home crusader.