Re: [pct-l] Camp shoes

TempeMIke@aol.com wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a light weight camp shoe. Something substantial enough
> to ford a stream with -- which eliminates sandals as far as I'm concerned.

DeepSee Beachwalkers fill the bill.  They're a lightweight dive shoe,
neoprene and nylon with a molded rubber sole (about 1/8" thick with a
non-skid surface), 7 oz for a size 8.  The sole is thin, but they're
adequate to protect feet in camp, swimming in places where the bottom
composition is unknown, and for crossing creeks.  I added 1/4" nylon
webbing with a stop around the ankles to relieve the sensation that I
was losing them in a current, or while swimming; I never actually lost
one, but had to be careful in currents when I didn't need that
distraction.

For the worst creek crossings, I recommend taking off your socks and
wearing hiking boots without insoles.  Without socks and insoles,
there's not much left in the boot to absorb water.

If you're weight conscious, drop the camp shoes.  They've migrated off
my list of essential gear.

Happy trails,  Tom