Re: [pct-l] GoLite Pack question

Tom and Karen,

Think of the GoLite pack as a day pack or a "book bag" used in school. It's
very similar, though of a greater capacity than most, and of ultra
lightweight components of the latest materials. Anything you can do to a day
pack you can do to the GoLite. You could sew on a hip belt fairly easily, I
would think, but I don't know that the belt would ride along the hips. The
pack comes in several sizes, but I don't know how that affects the overall
vertical length of the pack along the back. My pack, which was an unsized
prototype, stops just short of my pelvic shelf, so any hip belt attached to
it would tend to ride too high. But the possibility is there - the back of
the pack is all one piece of nylon, which then wraps under the bottom to
meet another piece of nylon in the front. At least on my prototype. But in
any case, there are no gagdets, bells, or whistles along the back that would
pose a problem for the amateur seamstress. You'd just be sewing through one
piece of 330 denier cordura ripstop. The width should be ample for sewing a
hipbelt in the usual configuration - several inches of material attached to
the pack before the hipbelt begins its curve around the wearer. The outside
corners of the pack's bottom have triangular pieces of material that attach
the shoulder straps at their bottoms. These shouldn't get in the way of the
hipbelt.

Still, I would question how effective a massive, padded, Dana hipbelt would
be on a pack that has no suspension. The belt might feel comfortable, but
would it serve its intended purpose of transfering the load onto the hips? I
think the answer would be 'no,' unless you could find a way to provide a
rigid frame to the back. The recommended foam pad and/or clothing wouldn't
cut it. They'd buckle under the load as you attempted to "stop" the pack at
your hip level. If it makes it as far as the hips. And so the pack would
still rest on the shoulders, if not immediately upon donning the pack, then
certainly within the course of walking and jouncing the pack down-back.

Some of my day packs have webbing hip belts, and I have considered sewing
something like that onto the GoLite pack, if it proves necessary. This would
be a thin, maybe 1 or 1.5 inch width of webbing, unpadded, that would
probably rest above the hips, and would just offer the ability to "tweak"
the load, as necessary. Another idea might be to sew "load lifters"
connecting the shoulder straps to the pack at the top. These, too, obviously
are intended for use with rigid frames, but might offer the tweak effect -
if the straps happen to rest uncomfortably on the shoulders, adjust the load
lifters until the straps rest differently, perhaps pulling the pack in
toward the back in the process.

None of this should be necessary when using the pack as intended, though.
With a load of under 35 lbs, I'm comfortable these days. I wasn't initially,
but my shoulders strengthened to the task. This happened during the course
of hiking 850 PCT miles, most while using the pack. At first, 25 lbs was
about "it" before things became uncomfortable. Within a week or two, 25 lbs
felt like nothing. And it progressively got better from there. And there's
some shoulder definition to show for it, as a side benefit. :)  I'd say the
trick is to start with a load in the range of 10-15 lbs base weight, no food
or water. Then, at 2.5lbs of food per day, 3 or 4 days of food on top of
that should be tolerable. Water could be an issue, depending on the need to
carry that. I hand carried some water through the PCT's desert stretches,
mostly when lugging over a gallon. This wasn't as bad as it might seem,
comfort or balance-wise. And there again, the arms got some definition as a
result. You can "pump" the water as you hike. :) But I'm getting carried
away. The GoLite pack works great as intended. Yes, it can handle upwards of
50 lbs without failure, but it isn't intended to do that, comfort-wise, over
the long haul. The gear is strong. Shoulders can be made strong. But
shoulders will probably give out before pack does.

Incidentally, GoLite may have a hip-belted pack available in the future. I
don't know if it's even on the drawing board at this point, though. It was a
thought, intended to serve the mountaineering/climbing community who
sometimes need belts to help maintain their balance in exposed terrain.

Keep in mind that the GoLite pack is patterned after Ray Jardine's own
packs, the construction methods of which he details in the PCT Handbook as
well as Beyond Backpacking. Making one's own pack saves a ton of money, and
you can build it the way you like, from scratch.

- Blisterfree