Re: [pct-l] stoves and Golite pack

<vivek1111@hotmail.com> wrote:

Has anyone tried the Golite Pack.  What did you think of it.
I liked how light it was, but it took some doing to get my all my stuff in
it.
I guess I have to learn how to pack lighter.  On the down side, the mesh
pockets
fell apart (got holes in them) on the first day with some easy boulder
scrambling.  I have send it back to Golite and hopefully they can think of
something.
Otherwise the pack and other GO-lite clothes are indeed very light and
seemed to
be very well put together.

-----------

I used a prototype of the current GoLite pack last summer on the PCT. This
pack was only minutely heavier (15 or 16 ozs), partly because it lacked ice
axe attachment points and partly because it was slightly smaller (very
slightly). I believe construction standards were more than adequate then,
and should be all the better now. But still, they are a fledgling outfit,
and could be running into a few production flaws as they rush to fulfill
orders. How did you manage to get holes in the mesh pockets? No doubt this
pack does require one to pack on the light side, and the less bulky side.
Not doing so defeats the whole purpose of using such a pack. The heavier the
load, the less comfortable a bare-bones pack is to wear. The bulkier the
load, the more stress comes to bear upon the materials, which although
robust, could conceivably rip at weak points (mesh), for instance when the
mesh pockets are given the squeeze play from an overloaded main compartment.
My first impression of the primary mesh cargo area on the back of the pack
was that it wasn't capacious enough. But come to find out, the pockets were
designed to offer as much storage area as possible without throwing the
pack's center of gravity out of whack. Everything seems on the level to me.
My only hope is that as time goes on, these items become a bit more
value-oriented. I believe such would be more in keeping with the spirit from
which this commercial gear blossomed.

- Blisterfree