[pct-l] lighting esbit-type stove

Eskie user wrote of experiecing some problems lighting Esbit-type
stove.  I have had no problems to date and I have operated this kind
of stove in a variety of weather for about 1600 miles of PCT hiking.
     Here is what I do:  Unless there is no wind I erect a "wind-
screen" out of available gear such as my shoes,etc. or rocks found
lying about.  After getting pot,etc. ready I position a fuel tablet
inside the stove and light it with a kitchen-type wooden match.  I
have found the matches to be the best way to light these tablets as
you have to hold the flame to the tablet for a little bit to get it
started.  I light the wooden match with a mini-butane lighter.  So I
always have two ways to get flame if one should fail.  Stove fuel,(for up to
four days), matches, and lighter all fit inside the stove.
     I use the "Stansport" brand of tablets which I can find readily
in my area and run about .25 cents an ounce.  I avoid handling the
tablets with bare fingers, and avoid breathing the vapor pretty well
as I'm of course cooking outside in the open air.  Use the smallest
pot you can get away with and use a small piece of folded foil on the
ground beneath the stove so as to not scortch the duff,etc.  The foil
might have the added benefit of reflecting some heat back at the pot.
     I use up to 1 3/4 cups of water to cook my one-pot meals which
comes to a boil fairly quickly.  If cooking conditions are ideal, I
can get by with using just one ounce of fuel, otherwise I've used up
to an ounce and a half.  The key to using this type of stove and fuel
is to experiment, experiment, experiment.  I had to experiment a bit
before becoming a "true believer".