Re: [pct-l] PCT Maps

In a message dated 11/30/99 2:18:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, aj7x@amsat.org
(Kelly Miller) writes:

<< There are maps available for Oregon and Washington that cover the trail
pretty well.  Unfortunately, a similar set doesn't exist for California.  To
make things worse, it seems to me that the maps in the California guide book
are even smaller and harder to read than the Ore/Wash counterparts.  >>

FWIW:

One alternative for California is to use the National Forest maps put out by
the Forest Service. While they are not topo maps (no contour lines), they do
give the "big picture" of the PCT's route. This allows one to determine 'bail
out' points, identify lakes and USFS Roads. I find them very useful for
planning trips. Used in conjunction with the maps in the Guidebooks, they
make a less-expensive choice than official topo maps.

Charlie