Re: [pct-l] Lighting Esbit stove

In a message dated 11/29/99 8:351 PM Pacific Standard Time, sfox@eskimo.com
writes:

<< I tried an Esbit stove on my mini-thruhike this summer. It sure is hard to
light. Anybody found the "knack" on how to get those things lit quicker,
especially when the wind is blowing? Here are a few difficulties that I had:

FWIW:

I hiked with a person once that used "cotton balls covered with Vaseline" as
his starter for fuel tablets. It's something you might try at home to see how
well it works.

But, as Tom Reynolds says, "For virtually ALL stoves a MSR windscreen is
worth the ounce to carry it."

BTW, my hiker friend did experience trouble with lighting the cotton ball in
the wind. On more than one occasion during that 3-day trip, my friend
finished cooking his meal on our Whisperlite Stove.

Charlie