[pct-l] How about MP3 Players!?

RE:
>>Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:38:22 PST
>>From: "Determined Hiker" <determinedhiker@hotmail.com>
>>Subject: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #945

>From: Hiker97@aol.com
>To: pct-l@edina.hack.net
>Subject: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #945
>Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 00:43:28 EST
>
>Talking about cell phones and such, here is one that will get some people
>really upset.  For 35 years of backpacking, I have carried a small
>shortwave/am/fm radio.  Some of my favorite memories are alone at night
>deep
>in the wilderness listening to great radio plays out of London on the BBC.

>>Well Switchback, as robin williams said in Good Morning Vietnam,
>>"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH Gomer, you're gonna burn in hell for THAT one!"

>>Mary
I WAS going to start a thread about the "hunger for music" that always hits
me a few days into even the best of hikes.  My singing doesn't count as
music, and banging on pans is reservered for warding off bears.  So for
years I've just suffered in silence :).  I thought about radios, tape
players, walkmans (walkmen?) etc.  All too heavy, use too much power,
provide lousy sound or sound in poor taste (mine).  Finally!  Enter the MP3
player.  A few ounces.  One battery (2A) for 4 hours of music.  Best of all
40 or so music pieces of my choice.  And I can play them in any order just
like a cd player!  Who says technology doesn't belong in the back country!
(I know, lots of folks...and they hike their own hike too).
Pete