[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #945

well being mostly a lurker to this list, and i should probably stay that
way but...

on the subject of cell phones, i am a husband and have by Gods grace
become a parent of 6 kids.  Yes i know if i would have spent more time
backpacking and less time at home well then i might have less kids...but
the reality of it is i will never be able to go the 6 months or so for a
thru hike, so i do a few sections a year.  Well for any of you who have
had or have kids keeping in touch is an important issue.  The world is a
very dynamic place, you never know what is going to occur when you are
away.  So i do take a cell phone, now do i sit on Whitney and say how
bitchin it is to be on the highest place in the continental US, node.
Do i use it on a high pass in the Sierras to call once a day if the
signal is good to ensure that the world i have selfishly left behind to
follow my dream is still intact w/o me, YUP!  I do it desperately and
without fanfare.  i have offered the use of the phone when others needed
to make plans for pick ups or food drops and those people seemed ok with
it.  A purist i am not.  I am just me and like i have read on this
list..i hike my own hike and am way tolerant of those who don't hike
like i do...this is not a flame i just wanted to express the reason why
i have chosen to carry a cell phone.

Jim K.
ok back to my lurking