RE: [pct-l] Foot pain problem

I am another hiker who had to stop hiking because of foot pain.  We had
hiked over a thousand miles in 98 when the threat of permanent injury-not
being able to hike again-made me realize I had better quit.  My problem was
plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation of a large tendon  that runs
along the bottom of your foot from arch to heel.  It is common in people who
gain weight.  I was gaining about 35 pounds each morning of my hike.  I did
some things right but many more things wrong.  Before starting the hike I
went to a podiatrist and got some orthotics, which I wore (and wear)
constantly.  They helped but were not enough.  While I was very good about
stretching during the training period before our hike, when on the trail I
gave it up almost completely.  Now I know that tight muscles along the back
of the body contribute to sore feet.  Another mistake I made was getting a
pair of shoes that were too big.  This made the orthotics less effective.
Halfway through the hike I bought a new pack which was very comfortable( I
had been suffering for 600 miles with a pack that gave me shooting pains in
the back and shoulders) but was 3+ pounds heavier than the old one.  Also,
it was very hard for me to limit mileage per day.  We would say "no more
than 15 miles", but when we got there, it was almost impossible to stop.  We
had the energy, we wanted to see what was around the next turn, and we loved
just moving.

My plan for hiking without foot pain:  !. Lower pack weight.  Besides the
pack itself and its contents, I could remove about ten pounds of just plain
fat.  2.  Stretch.  Achilles, calf, hamstrings, gluteus, back.  3.  Find the
best footwear for my feet.  We wore running shoes, but now I wonder whether
boots would have been better.

I have two and a half years to try these things out before we take another
thru-hike attempt in 2002.

Beth