Re: [pct-l] rewarding side trips

I took a short side trip in the southern Sierra (by accidently taking the
wrong trail) when I chanced upon a crew planting trees.  The "boss", a lovely
women, had a contract with the USFS to replant a burned out area.  I stopped
and accepted the job and planted trees with the Mexicans for three days.
They thought I was crazy.  A guy with a backpack, hiking in the middle of
nowhere, in between snow storms, stopping to plant trees for not much.   She
paid me a small wage, fed me while I was there and filled my pack with food
when I left.

A good deal, a pleasant memory and a great experience, all by chance.

Greg "Strider" Hummel