[pct-l] Re: [pct-l-digest V1 #925]

Ron,

All the tests I did were with cold tap water and denatured alcohol.  As you
know, denatured alcohol is ethanol spiked with enough nasty stuff to make it
undrinkable.  I find it in hardware stores labeled, variously, as "denatured
alcohol," "shellac thinner" and "alcohol stove fuel."  Alcohol stoves have
been used extensively (exclusively?) in boats for years.

-- Jim

> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 17:13:09 -0800
> From: Ronald Moak <ronm@fallingwater.com>
> Subject: RE: [pct-l] Nifty Stove
>
> I'd like to thank everyone for their ideas and suggestions on the stove.
> Over the next few weeks I'll be looking into them. I'm pretty happy with
the
> stoves performance with the Esbit fuel. In my limited test, it performs
> better than the Esbit stove in similar setups.
>
> I was able to shave a couple of minutes off the boil time for the alcohol
> burner. However, I'm not sure what target I'm aiming for. In all the pages
> for other alcohol stoves, boil times were approximately 5 minutes for 2
> pints of room temperature water. What exactly is room temperature? In my
> test the starting and ending water temps were 60 and 220 degrees
> respectively. I was using good old tap water.
>
> Even as it is, I'm still able to cook a Lipton's meal on a single teaspoon
> of fuel. At less than a quarter ounce that's not half bad.
>
> Obviously the starting temperature of the water is a factor in boil times.
> Also I'd like to know what type of alcohol was use in the 5 minute test.
The
> alcohol I used was the brand in the web picture. I do know that different
> forms of alcohol have different burning properties. I recall a page that
had
> the relative burn times for the different types of alcohol listed.
Somewhere