*TOP TEN LONG DISTANCE ITEMS* - was Re: [pct-l] Re: Sleeping Bags

At 8:00 AM -0700 11/7/99, Mark Dixon wrote:
>I want to throw in my 2 cents about sleeping bags and gear in general.
>There's really no reason to think one has to spend $50<sniped>

Mark- You made a great point; here is  *my* top 10 most important things for
1000 miles+ hike/climbing my experience that I would like to share: (Well maybe
 is more than ten single items, but you get the point.  I guess one other
impt. point
to me is partnering; which has changed over the years from intense solo'ing
on the AT, to the opposite on the PCT and JMT trips- it has become much more
important. Here they are:

0- Determination (= Overall Longterm Attitude; big part = being in
shape *before* you start)

1-Food- fruits, veggies, protein, carbos' a good balance you previously
determined is good for you.

2-Good night's sleep = things *always* look better!

3-Feet = Boots, socks, blister-care + cleanliness

4-Shelter= goes with 2 per your own personal requirements tent/tarps/bivy.
I prefer
the walrus lightweight 3.5 season 1 man tent which is little bigger than OR
bivy.

5-Optimal load for your physical condition and strength + endurance=
20-25-30 max w/o food.

6-Common sense on rest days/proceeding- use your current training level to
judge+
listen to Jardine, but tailor to yourself as you, nor I, are Ray!

7-Sense of humor and adventure and love nature/flowing/Zen with Nature(not
same as 0 or 6).

8-Other necessary/lightweight/sturdy gear not included in 3 and 4.

9-Don't lament/ miss the Letterman show'sTop-10 Lists :-))  (too much!).

Happy Trails,

Rich