[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #928

For the what-it's-worth department, or I'll throw my 2 cents in if you give
me a penny for my thoughts:

IMHO, the hierarchy of most important-to-least-important factors in
thru-hiking success:
1. Decide on why you're hiking and what it would take to interrupt that: if
you're not sure before you start, any reason to quit will work after starting.
2. Proper conditioning is important, but determined hikers in average shape
out-hike
well-trained athletes every year.
3. Hiking safely consciousness: or, if you have the best equipment but not
the presence of mind to keep from falling, jumping, leaping, etc. and busting
your butt, you'll wind up in the wish-I-had'nt category and headed home. And,
drink lots, wear lots ( sunscreen, hats, long sleeves, good footwear ) but
pack light ( a good trick! ). Hiking poles not a bad idea, too.
4. Start day early; eat early rather than late; don't pass on chance to eat
when in town; grab green , yellow, and red veggies and fruits when you can.
5. Exception to rule 3: no limit to weight and care for footwear and feet.
Otherwise, if you took it and didn't use it, chances are you didn't need it!
( Pack weight should rarely exceed 20 lbs without food and water .)

    Enjoy all aspects of  your hike, "good "and "bad"; later the" bad "will
probably seem like good. At the end of our lives, we'll wish we had spent
more days hiking rather than working: Duh!

    On the matter of sleeping warmly, insulation between ground and bag  much
more valuable than insulation around bag: and sleeping without clothes ( near
nude ) allows the body to relax and warm itself. Try it.